Is this school year going by too fast, or is it just us?! With so much to do and so little time to prepare for summer, we’ve compiled a list of helpful tips to get you ready for summer!
- First things first: Make sure the kids are fully prepared for all their classes to come to an end by keeping track of any homework and papers sent home by teachers. Don’t forget to check school schedules for end of year deadlines, events, or anything else that will get in the way of the next school year!
- Let’s talk about clothes: Are there any garments your kids haven’t worn all year or have grown out of? This is a great opportunity to sort through your kids’ closets, donate any unneeded clothing to make room for some new back to school gear for next year, and assess if anything will be needed for summer (i.e. new bathing suits, summer camp clothes, etc.)
- Keep them busy: Before deadlines come around for summer camps (Local Tip: High Desert Museum Kids Camp is all full, but you can sign up for the waitlist), sit down with your kids and ask them (or have them write down) what they’d like to do over the summer. This may give you great ideas of which camps to sign them up for! Get ahead of the game before camps fill up.
- Arts & Crafts: Stock up on craft supplies and good books for lazy days around the house. Keeping your kids’ brains active and engaged over the summer is great for their development! Pro tip: Hit the dollar stores first
- Vacation planning: Summer wouldn’t be summer unless there was a family vacation to be had. Let’s take one thing of your list of things to do and have one of our Local Experts design an travel itinerary for you! If you are in Bend, Oregon or will be visiting this Summer, keep reading for a list of events happening in town.
- June 4th through July 16th (Sundays) - Free Summer Sunday Concerts: Happening at Les Schwab Amphitheater, this is a FREE event (yes, music to our ears, right?), great for the whole family. Come listen to some music, try out local food carts, and enjoy the sun!
- July 7th through August 11th (Thursdays) - Munch and Music: Held at Drake Park, this is an outdoor music event filled with booths of locals selling their handmade goods, a wide variety of food carts, and lots of room to dance to great music! (Also a free event!)
- August 19th - September 9th (Fridays) - Munch and Movies: Held at NW Crossing on Friday evenings, family-friendly movies are projected onto a big screen. Food is available for purchase, so make sure to not only bring a blanket, but an appetite as well! Or you can pack a picnic basket with your favorite treats.
- Summer Concert Series at the Les Schwab Amphitheatre (prices vary):
- June 11th, 2017 - John Mellen Camp
- June 30th, 2017 - Pink Martini
- July 1st, 2017 - Ween
- July 8th, 2017 - Michael Franti & Spearhead
- August 4th, 2017 - Steve Miller Band
- AND MANY MORE! (Click here for the entire concert lineup and dates)
- June 24-25 - Subaru Outdoor Games: Located at Riverbend Park off the Deschutes River, this is a free 5-day celebration packed full of outdoor activities like biking, kayaking, climbing, and more. Kid and DOG friendly!
- July 8-9 - Bend Summer Festival: Happening in Downtown Bend, come explore local artist booths, taste local beer, enjoy a wide variety of food, and of course, live bands! There is a kid-friendly area with bounce houses, face painting tables, and games. This event is ALSO free.
- July 13th through August 17th (Thursdays) - Discover Nature Days: Presented by the Children’s Forest of Central Oregon partners, Discover Nature Days are free family events throughout Central Oregon that connect children and families to the wonders of nature.
- July 28-30 - Balloons Over Bend Children's Festival: Outdoor event where hot air balloons launch from Jewell Elementary school, and float through Bends beautiful blue skies. Meet the balloon pilots and learn all about hot air balloons and how they work. Admission for the event is $12 and tickets can be bought here. And don’t miss out on the Night Glow launch, you’ll have to see it to believe it!
- August 2-8 - Deschutes County Fair: It’s like a real life version of “Grease”, but without all the slicked-back hair and poodle skirts. Enjoy carnival rides and games! Indulge in some fair food (did anyone say hot dogs and churros?!). Big name music artists perform each night. Concert line will be announced this coming Monday, May 1st, so stay tuned! Admission to the fair is $12 for adults, $7 for children, and free for kids under 5.
- August 10th - 12th - Bend Brew Festival: You cannot experience the true essence of Bend unless you try some beer. According to 10 Barrel, a local brewery, “Bend Beer is Better”, and the Bend Brew Festival is the most epic way to enjoy it. $20 gets you a mug and 5 tokens for beer! If you finish all your tokens, you can get more at $5 for 5 tokens. (Minors welcome until 5pm!)
- August 18th through 22nd - Moonshadow Festival: Experience the once in a lifetime Solar Eclipse at this festival! Click here for ticket information about camping, parking, and day passes. (Note: Eclipse is on August 21st)
If you’ll be coming to Bend, Oregon, let us take the planning off your list. Whether you are coming for any of the events above or not, we have Local Experts that can design a personalized travel itinerary for you! Use promo code MAY2017 and take 50% off your itinerary!